Equality Statement for Cheswick Green Primary School
At Cheswick Green Primary School all policies and procedures are informed by and will have regard to this statement.
We recognises The Equality Act 2010 and comply with the duties explicit within them, ensuring that there is equality of opportunity for all pupils, staff, parents and carers irrespective of race, gender, disability, belief, sexual identity and orientation, age or socio-economic background.
The Equality Act is a law which protects everyone from discrimination. It means that discrimination or unfair treatment on the basis of certain personal characteristics, is against the law.
The Act requires us to publish information that demonstrates that we have due regard for the need to:
- Eliminate unlawful discrimination, harassment, victimisation and any other conduct prohibited by the Act.
- Advance equality of opportunity between people who share a protected characteristic and those who do not.
- Foster good relations between people who share a protected characteristic and people who do not.
Cheswick Green Primary School is committed to equality both as an employer and a service provider, ensuring that everyone is treated fairly and respectfully. We strive to make sure that our school is a safe and secure place for everyone.
The School’s curriculum and ethos fully promote the protected statuses of the 2010 act which is law in the United Kingdom. Cheswick Green Primary School recognises that people have different needs, and understand that treating people equally does not always involve treating them the same. We try to make sure that people from different groups are consulted and involved in our decisions, for example through talking to pupils and parents/carers.
Cheswick Green Primary School aims to make sure that no-one experiences less favourable treatment or discrimination because of their:-
- A disability
- Their ethnicity, colour or national origin
- Their gender
- Their gender identity (they have reassigned or plan to reassign their gender)
- Their marital or civil partnership status
- Their being pregnant or having recently had a baby
- Their religion or belief
- Their sexual identity and orientation.
Equality in Teaching and learning
Cheswick Green Primary School provides all pupils with the opportunity to succeed and reach the highest level of personal achievement.
We do this by:
- Ensuring equality of access for all pupils and preparing them for life in a diverse society
- Using materials that reflect the diversity of the school, population and local community without stereotyping
- Promoting attitudes and values that challenge any discriminatory behaviour or prejudice
- Providing opportunities for pupils to appreciate their own culture and celebrate the diversity of other cultures
- Seeking to involve all parents in supporting their child’s education
- Utilising teaching approaches appropriate for the whole school population which are inclusive and reflective of our pupils.